07 January 2012

The end of last year

This is the time and space in which people talk about their New Year's resolutions, but I think I need to finish wrapping up last year first:

1) The sudden loss of my uncle put a bit of a damper on the season and most definitely my want to post here for a while. He was a wonderful man with strong convictions: the community and his drive to help those around him, cooking (best rack of ribs in the world), his family, his religion. He was the kind of man that took the time to make those who might have felt forgotten feel remembered, feel loved. Losing him is a great loss to this world. He was always ready with a laugh, especially when we were children. He often confessed that he had not graduated from the "kids table" at my Nonna's house, which meant he was there to make sure dinner got eaten and no funny business was going on. It also meant that he made sure that every business was funny. He always had a quarter for your 25 cent words and he might even flick a bugger (pretend or not) at you. He is missed.

2) I did finish my Book Challenge for 2011, though I didn't post it in time. I finished Chill Out and Get Healthy. It's a book with a modern interpretation of Chinese medicine. It was okay - more a laugh (due to the language, not the topic) than anything else. I also read all three books in the Hunger Games series (The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay). The series was excellent and I'm looking forward to the films. That closes me out at 33 for the year. I've also read Out of Oz by Gregory Maguire. Fabulous ending to the series. Not what I expected, but I will leave the details for the actual reading. You have to read the series and it's best to go in order. :)

I hope that you all had a wonderful holiday season. I'll be posting a little less often than I was until we get settled back in Hong Kong - which should be fairly soon. Until then, good reading and Happy New Year.

Leave me a comment to let me know you stopped by!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!