26 October 2011

On writing

So... I've been in a bit of a dry spell in the writing department. We all have them. It's led me to no little frustration of late, because I find myself wanting to sit down and write, but not having a whole lot to say. It doesn't help that I'm pulled between projects. I have a fanfic (oh God - so embarrassing to admit) project that I've been writing for way too long, but haven't finished, I have another floating on the edges of my brain and an original writing project that I've been toying with for years, but that just hasn't gotten there in the plot. Add work, home life and school to that and I've got myself a real mess. 

I got some advice a while back about poetry, but I think it could work with anything really. I was told to read some authors that I like, that are good and that are successful. Take their work and copy their style closely for a while until you get what they're doing. Try this with more than one author (obviously) and see how different authors shape their craft. Somewhere in the middle of it, you'll start to get how the professionals do it, but you'll probably develop your own voice in the middle. 

I find that it's time to take this advice, even if it is months and months later. I've picked a few authors that I think are successful in one aspect or another and I will be looking to them for some structure, pacing and tone (hopefully). I'll try to post some of my writings here. 

What do you do when you're in a writing rut? How do you push yourself out of a dry spell?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!